How to protect your home or business from a flood

Flooding is the second-worst thing that can happen to a home or business, next to a devastating fire, No way exists to totally protect a structure from the flooding that can accompany a torrential rainstorm; however Wellspring Insurance Network Inc. serving Rockville, MD suggests a number of steps can be taken to mitigate the damage.

One way to protect your home or business from the next flood is to elevate it. However, these jobs tend to be very expensive, running into the tens and even hundreds of thousands of dollars, depending on the size of the structure and other factors. How high you raise your house to get it above flood level may also be something of a guess. You will have to factor in that high cost compared to the expense and trouble of fixing your home or business if it gets inundated by the next flood.

Another way to mitigate against the next flood is to change your landscaping. A lawn that is porous enough to absorb water rather than channel it to your home or business will help to at least minimize flood damage. You can also dig depressions in your lawn to help channel water away from your house. Make sure your driveway is in good repair so that it too channels water down to the street.

You should consider purchasing a temporary flood barrier that can be set up to block flood waters from entering your home or business.

You should finally take steps to protect your furniture and electronics by elevating them above flood level, if possible, should you take on water.

For questions concerning flood insurance, feel free to contact Wellspring Insurance Network Inc. serving Rockville, MD.

Do You Need Off-Road Vehicle Insurance?

If you operate an off-road vehicle, you may need to purchase off-road vehicle insurance. While these vehicles are fun to drive, it is important to make sure you are covered in the event of an accident.

Homeowners’ Insurance

ATVs, golf carts, dirt bikes, snowmobiles and other off-road vehicles are usually not covered by your homeowners’ policy. Many homeowners’ insurance policies provide very little or no protection for off-road vehicles, especially if they are not used on your property.

While some states do not require ATV insurance, Arkansas requires you to have off-road vehicle insurance if you’ll be operating it in state or public parks.

An off-road vehicle insurance policy can protect both your ATV and you. These policies will protect you against liability when operating your off-road vehicle.

What to Look for in a Policy

When you need to purchase off-road vehicle insurance, talk to your independent agent at Wellspring Insurance Network Inc. in Rockville, MD. Look for the following forms of coverage:

  • Collision Coverage: Collision coverage will cover the costs of damages done to your ATV in an accident.
  • Bodily Injury Liability: With bodily injury liability, if you are in an accident and someone else is hurt, their medical expenses will be covered.
  • Property Damage Liability: With property damage liability, if you cause damage to someone else’s property, the costs will be covered.
  • Comprehensive Coverage: If your ATV is damaged or stolen, comprehensive coverage will take care of it. Comprehensive coverage protects you from natural disasters and theft.

You may qualify for a policy discount if you take an ATV safety course. Check with us when looking for your policy! Contact us at Wellspring Insurance Network Inc. in Rockville, MD today!